Sunday, June 9, 2013

Rigors of a Mom-Student

So Friday afternoon we had company-one of the other 5th graders. Nice girl, silly (aren't they all), and very polite. Then trying to figure out a car issue I am having. So by the time I got home I was so tired I could barely walk in the door. Needless to say, straight to bed I went. Got up early on Saturday and attempted a 7 am study session-one thing you will learn about me is that I am NOT a morning person! Then off to a 3 hour hike at Stoney Creek. Looking for birds. With some of the LOUDEST freaking people I could have imagined. So the whole birding process our Prof. had intended was more like a big BS session-at least the guys spent a lot of time with chest puffing behavior....

Then back to class to bomb a test. I clearly need a better method of time management. Studying has been down the list a bit this semester.

So now that I have set the mood, I wanted to discuss one of the ways I intend to improve my situation and relieve one of the biggest stressors-money trouble! I have threatened to get serious with using coupons for a while. I even set them aside to be used later. Unfortunately later doesn't come-until the coupons are expired. And all that does is cost time and stress, and certainly not saving us any money. So I picked up a book at my campus bookstore (yay clearance bin!) by Stephanie Nelson who runs www.couponmom.com. It is called The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half. It is a set of guidelines on couponing and a technique she has dubbed "strategic shopping". So as of this morning, I picked up two different Sunday papers loaded with coupons and sale papers. The next stage is menu planning in conjunction with what is on sale, and building my collection of coupons.

One thing that has really kept me from successful coupon shopping is lack of planning. By that I mean menu planning as well as remembering to bring the dang coupons to the store!! I actually have a really cute coupon organizer for my store trips that my daughter made me-and let me tell you, it is going to get some use now! Another thing about this book (and corresponding website) is that it outlines how to organize coupons between shopping trips to better utilize them. And the website does a fantastic job of putting together the local deals and online printable coupons. So I believe with these tools, some perseverance, and my new found motivation I will be successful at this "extreme couponing" phenomenon that has helped so many families! And although I have heard you "can't do it in our area" I personally know someone ( a man no less!) that IS very proficient and is saving the family incredible amounts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment